It's hard to soar with eagles when you're hangin' with the turkeys!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

I Belong to Rose

"The Pie Song"

Baby don'tcha cry,
Gonna bake a Pie,
Gonna bake a Pie
With a Heart in the Middle,

Baby don't be Blue,
Gonna bake for You,
Gonna bake a Pie
With a Heart in the Middle,

Gonna be a Pie from
Heaven Above,
Gonna be filled with
Strawberry Love...

Baby don'tcha cry
Gonna bake a Pie
And hold you Forever
In the middle of my Heart

My Sisters and I at the Old House with Grandma & Grandpa: 2004


When we were in Utah over Christmas, Grandma Rose passed away. She was anxious to be with Grandpa and decided that once she was no longer able to bake a pie, it would be a good time to move on. My sisters, parents and I were able to drive to Richfield to see her the day before her passing. The girls and I sang to her while we held her hand and rubbed her feet. We sang, "For the Beauty of the Earth", "Count Your Blessings", "Abide with Me", "Endearing Young Charms" and "Whispering Hope." We tried not to think of what it would be like, not having her here, and were happy for her to be moving on to the next life and adventure with Grandpa. I cannot imagine never sitting in her cozy kitchen again, or hearing her lovely laugh and "Helloooo, darling!" on the other end of telephone receiver...but I CAN imagine she and Grandpa happily enjoying each others company in another sphere, possibly cooking up a pie or two and lovingly watching over all of us below.

We sang "The Pie Song", the girls and I, at the luncheon following Grandma's funeral.

2 comments:

  1. Angi,

    I'm so sorry for your loss! The song is lovely, and I'm sure your grandma was listening with joy while you sang it for her. And I had no idea you have so many sisters! You're all beautiful!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angie! Found you via Van Akens blog, met you once and am getting to know your awesomely (word?) sister Mindy. Thanks for this post.
    My grandma was the same way, and not being able to make a pie, was the hardest for her! She left this world 8 years ago and I was thankful to be there when she took her last breaths. What an amazing experience.
    She too, was anxious to be with my grandpa. Thanks so much for sharing. xo

    ReplyDelete