Today was "Day X" at IICS, where the 6th graders held an assembly for parents and primary grades, and conducted additional activities. They sang, danced and presented their passions for all to see. They even did a lip-synced version of "We are the World-Haiti", much to the crowds amusement and great pleasure. If I can get my hands on the video, I'll post!
After the assembly we were able to walk around and see the pinboard demonsatrations all of the 6th graders had put up in the "exhibition hall". Throughout the course of the morning, each of the students were given a 15 minute block of time to hold a workshop, showing all students and parents what they chose as their passion. Some held cooking classes, soccer shootouts, or a mini-concert. Thys conducted a woodworking workshop, where he showed a room full of students how to use different woodworking tools and what kind of projects were possible to make.
Can I just say how proud of him I was/am? He jumped into this huge project without any gentle transition into school. He was anxious about it at first, nervous about not only being the new kid, but about the huge umbrella of work and effort this project was that suddenly hung over him. I was proud of him as he spent the week fundraising, proud as we planted trees together with the 5 and 6 year olds, and even more proud of him today as he confidently taught a room full of people some woodcarving basics.
Years ago Thys conducted an FHE at home on the Creation. He was only 6 years old, but he wanted to teach the lesson. He taught us how the world was created in the beginning, and how the beauties of the world unfolded during the process, the seven days. He presented some of his artwork, pictures of the earth he had drawn for us to see. Tears welled in his little boy eyes as he told us that God wants us to help take care of the earth and that it is our responsibility. I see that stewardship is as important to him today as it seems to always have been.
Bravo, Thys. I hope you will always look for ways to make the world a better place in small and simple ways.
Thys, Jake & Derin planting fruit trees
The Prep class
6th graders dancing
6th graders singing
Thys explains his passion/action to Ms. Laycock
Thys teaches a class on woodworking
The 6th graders cheer as "Day X" comes to an end!
wow!!! i loved reading this, Ang....what great kids you have. tell Thys kudos from the allred clan! miss you guys so much but so happy that so many wonderful things are being experienced by your family. happy cinco de mayo! remember last year our plight with making pina coladas? good times, good times:)
ReplyDeletelove ya!
bah I am shedding a tear right now!! Thys you are one of the coolest kids on the planet!!!!!!! I love you!
ReplyDeleteWOW Thys. I know I am your sister but I thought everything you did, Your action, day X and your pin board were all very VERY cool. i think you did a great job. I absoultly love to watch you wood carve! I love that camel that you made with dad!
ReplyDeleteOnce again, I was totally engrossed in reading your blog about Thys' project. I can just hear him and see him in my minds' eye, but thank you SO MUCH for sharing this. Thys amazes me....(and not just because he's my grandson) I find him so interesting and admire him so much. I watch with interest as he grows and develops. He holds my heart. Love, Mom R.
ReplyDelete