It's hard to soar with eagles when you're hangin' with the turkeys!

Thursday, April 15, 2010

At the door

This evening our doorbell rang twice; the first time, a beautiful Turkish woman presented herself to us. She looked like a sweet little old woman who had freshly stepped out of a fairy tale. She wore a lovely multi-colored scarf over her head, a long wool coat and skirt, and tiny little lack leather boots. She announced to us in Turkish that she was our new "helper" (cleaning lady/nanny...we had to phone Hale to translate for us). We responded by dancing around, and using the new special sign language we are learning, to assure her that we didn't ask for a cleaning lady/nanny, but "thank you anyway". She smiled, skipped off and said, "See you in the morning!" (Hale told us that's what she said after she left). We laughed, and I secretly wished this darling little Grandma would be my weekly "helper" (boy, do I ever need help!).

About an hour later, the doorbell rang again and I opened it to see a very tall Dominoes pizza-man standing before me. He was garbed in a special Dominoes uni-suit and wore a funky hat/beret on his head. I shut my eyes and opened them again; Dominoes, in Turkey? Why should I be suprised by that? I don't know, but he gave me a friendly smile and shoved a box of pizza toward me. I smiled, danced another silly signing dance, and assuring him that we hadn't ordered a pizza. "Begonvil dort (#4?)," he asked, wanting to be sure. I shook my head sadly. "Begonvil iki (#2)," I said. I pointed back up to the street, suggesting it must be our neighbor. He smiled, tipped his funky hat, and was on his way.

I love picturing the little old fairy tale lady standing next to the super-tall Dominoes pizza guy. You can be out in the countryside here and feel like time has stood still there for many years, or you can be in the heart of the city, ordering Dominoes pizza. I think I'm gonna love this place!

No comments:

Post a Comment