Three or so weeks ago I got the chance to go home! When I say home, I mean back to Eureka, CA...town of my growing up years. I hadn't been back since Inga & Ben were married several years ago. We took the kids on that trip, but I went sola this time; wanted to meet Inga & Ben's new baby (well, new a year ago...she's a toddler now)and see friends I haven't seen for a long time. Heather T and Dan B took the weekend off and we spent a couple of super-fun days together. Wished Ryan T could have joined us.
Highlights:
Flying over Humboldt County: I've never flown over the Trinity Mountains, the Redwoods or the coastline of Humboldt County (even though I grew up there...guess we always drove where we needed to go). My heart was in my throat as we landed; just made me really homesick to catch the aerial visual that I did as we flew from Redding to Eureka. I've been "home" so few times after graduating from high school, and to fly over HC was really something...it was such a beautiful sight.
Inga and Ruby picked me up. They took me to their cool little pad and I got to just chill with Ben, Inga and the babe. Ruby was learning how to walk! Great fun watching her toddle around, hearing her point, chatter, and call everything a "baa-baa" (apparently she has a thing for sheep). We became good buddies. My kids would have really liked playing with her. I just don't think she could be any cuter...nope!
Inga, Ruby & I hooked up with Heather the next day, after Inga took me to the crepe restaurant (Renata's) in Arcata for lunch. Yummy! Heather lives only a few blocks from downtown Arcata. Got to check out the cool house she's living in up by HSU, and then we went for a walk as a foursome to the plaza. Ruby especially enjoyed getting out. We took her to a few shops, and I think she enjoyed Gepetto's best (the toy store). Heather had her smooching all of the big stuffed animals. We made a quick stop at the Arcata co-op...had to get one of their fruit bars; Ruby and I gave them a big thumbs-up.
Went back to Heathers, hung out, and got to see Jeremiah (Heathers b-friend). He and Heather had visited us in Woodinville last summer; we took them to Lake Sammamish on one of our sunny summery days. I remember that day, after Heather and Jeremiah left. Mia turned to me and said, "Your friend Heather Tork...she's REALLY funny!" Yes, my kids loved Heather.
Went to dinner that night with Heather, Inga & Brook in Old Town. Funny conversations! I love those guys!
Hung out at Inga's that night. Dan came up from San Francisco...I hadn't seen him since Mia was teeny, and it was so good to see him. Got to meet his (Swiss Mountain?) dog, Bodie. Couldn't tell if he was a dog, bear or tornado; he kept us well entertained.
Went to Trinidad and College Cove the next morning. We had lunch up above Trinidad; a great view, and I felt homsick all over again. We hiked out to the bluffs beyond College Cove, and then down to the beach. College Cove to Angi is like the Briar Patch to Brer Rabbit; I don't think I could love any place more than the Trinidad beaches. I should have made a stop at Camel Rock as well. I think I could have pitched myself a tent and stayed for days. Ruby was pretty excited to be there; she was ready to jump in to the water, and bury herself in the sand (in fact, I think she did both of those things).
We had dinner that night at Inga and Ben's; fresh crab...such a treat! Almost as good as the company.
Dan, Inga, Ben & Ruby took me to the airport the next morning, after a quick stop at Los Bagels (ahh, Los Bagels). I hate saying goodbye to friends. Too many goodbyes were said in March; I really dread that part of visiting people, and moving at that. Anyhow, it was good therapy to go for the weekend. I didn't get to see my good friend Tiffany, or go to church with lots of families that I love. There were other haunts I'd have loved to go to, but there is always next time, eh? Hasta entonces! Thanks for the good memories, guys!
Love this pic...
ReplyDelete