Fresh fruit...strawberries, like $1 a pound!
Spices
The protein vendor: meats, cheeses, eggs
Rice & lentils
Veggies
Nuts
The only thumbs down about the bazarre was the fishy smell
The olive vendor! He let us try all kinds...delish!
Gozleme (Gooz-le-may) for lunch: Gargantuan tortilla-type things filled with meat, cheeses, spinach and potatoes. Tasty!
As we strolled around I made a mental note to myself: learn Turkish numbers! So Thys taught us 1-10 on the way home. Bir, iki, uc, dort, bes, alta, yedi, seciz, dokuz, on. Now Jake knows he is "besh", and Josie knows she is "iki." I loved the market so much I went back the following Tuesday. I have to con my kids into going with me by letting them be the photographers, and making scavenger hunt lists for them (Jake got to search for berries, noodles, eggs, celery & bread)...otherwise they aren't nearly as interested as I am, but it's worth it!
Thou shalt not covet is a commandment I am having a hard time with. I want to be back in Turkey so bad. Brooke and I enjoy reading your blog....but makes us very home sick. Gozleme is good... try lamacun. If you have a chance to go to Adana, try a real Adana kebab. Enjoy Turkey...
ReplyDeleteLove the pictures! I wish we had real markets like that here. Farmer's Markets are the closest we've got, I guess.
ReplyDeleteLove the pics and uhhh... can Thys teach me Turkish too please?
ReplyDeleteTurkey here I come!!!! Seriously.
ReplyDelete