Today Josie and I attended our first playdate here. Before leaving the house for our date I intended to bring a snack to share with the little children we were getting together with. I thought I'd bag up some of our precious (and scarce)goldfish crackers (can't buy fishy crackers here, so I figgered it'd be a special treat). However, we were running late & I quickly abandoned the idea, just wanting to get out the door.
When we arrived, Petra (our new friend & hostess), welcomed us in to her beautiful home; she led us into her dining room "just for coffee." When I stepped in to her dining room and caught a glimpse of the spread there before me, I thought for a minute I was Sarah Minchen in "A Little Princess." A literal feast was layed out before our eyes; cupcakes, chocolates, popcorn, kid snacks, cakes, nuts, coffee & tea. I tried to keep from gawking, so I sat down quietly and ate foods with Josie that I don't tolerate well (it's impolite to say "not thanks", right? And who could help themselves?). We had a beautiful brunch with our new friends, all lovely German women and their sweet girls all about Josies age. But am I ever glad I left my lame goldfishie offering back home! Sides (this is my justification), now my kids have more goldfish for themselves to savor (shhh, don't tell them about the cakes & chocolates they're missing out on!).
No comments:
Post a Comment